Neurological Critical Care Physician Assistant
Company: WMC Advanced Physician Services PC
Category: Advanced Practice Providers
Position: Full Time
Hours: 3 nights per week, on a rotating basis Mon- Sun
Shift: Night - 12-hour shift
Salary/rate: $62.23-$73.05 an hour
The Brain and Spine Institute at Westchester Medical Center is seeking Neurosciences Critical Care Physician Assistants (NCC-PA) to work with neurocritical care, neurosurgery and neurology attending physicians, residents, fellows, nurses, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, and others to provide patient care. The NCC-PA will provide inpatient coverage in the 19-bed state-of-the-art Neuroscience Critical Care Unit managing the care of critically ill neurosurgical or neurological patients under the supervision/direction of the attending physicians. The PA will provide care in collaboration with the neuro-critical care team, neurology, and neurosurgery. Our unit that offers a supportive and dynamic work environment that is collaborative and fosters autonomy. The PA will join a team of four (4) physicians, eight (8) APPs and specialized neurological nurses. The PA provides round-the-clock coverage and will work a varied schedule of days, evenings, nights, holidays, weekends, and on unit call requirements. The PA will enjoy flexibility in scheduling and opportunities for professional growth and education, including participation in trainee didactic programs. Prior experience working in critical care as a Physician Assistant is encouraged but not required. The NCC PA will be rigorously trained in neurosurgical and neurological critical care with progressive independence appropriate to provider competence. The PA will primarily work in the ICU with some exposure to the emergency department and other inpatient areas. This position will include both day and night coverage, approximately 50% of each, including weekends and holidays. We are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff; hence we will honor your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity.
Night Shift (6:30 p.m. to 7:45 a.m.), six (6) shifts in a two (2) week pay period (13.3-hour shifts). No on call and may require some weekends.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Current New York State license as a physician assistant.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to apply theoretical concepts as part of a multidisciplinary health care team providing care to patients and their families.
- Collaborate with other services, other units, and other departments.
- Provides diagnostic and assessment services. Secures a health history from patient and/or family, records findings, and evaluates them. Performs a complete in-depth physical examination. Orders/performs pertinent diagnostic tests based on age and history.
- Admit new patients (including writing admit note, initial assessments/plans, placing admission order sets).
- Participates in daily morning and afternoon rounds.
- Analyzes data collected to determine health status and identify differential diagnoses based on history, physical exam, and clinical findings.
- Partners with physicians regarding proposed plan of care. Formulates this plan of care with the patient.
- Manages therapeutic regime as outlined by established protocols for patients with acute illnesses. (Protocols are guidelines concerning patient care that are established between the physician and nurse practitioner. The guidelines outline subjective and objective findings, treatment plan and follow-up). Reassess and modifies plan as necessary to achieve medical and health goals. Confers with physician for clinical direction as outlined by protocols.
- Documents patient care outcomes to determine effectiveness of plan of care. Communicates outcomes with physician.
- Facilitate family meetings and participate in goal of care discussions as appropriate.
Westchester Medical Center Health Network (WMCHealth) is a 1,900-bed healthcare system headquartered in Valhalla, New York, with 10 hospitals on seven campuses spanning 6,200 square miles of the Hudson Valley. WMCHealth employs more than 12,000 people and has nearly 3,000 attending physicians. From Level I, Level II, and Pediatric Trauma Centers, the region's only acute care children's hospital, an academic medical center, several community hospitals, dozens of specialized institutes and centers, a state-of-the-art Telemedicine program, skilled nursing, assisted living facilities, homecare services and one of the largest mental health systems in New York State, today WMCHealth is the pre-eminent provider of integrated healthcare in the Hudson Valley. Westchester Medical Center Advanced Physician Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
WMCHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Westchester Medical Center Health Network to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age (40 or older), marital status, genetic information or carrier status, disability (mental or physical), citizenship status, pregnancy, military service or veteran status, arrest or criminal accusation, domestic violence victim status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.